Plaque is a sticky non colored mix of bacteria , remains of food and the substances they secrete. This plaque causes dental cares , infections and gum disease . If left alone, plaque buildup also gradually hardens, creating tartar or calculus on your teeth.
Causes of plaque and why considered as a health problem ?
This plaque is formed when the food remnants containing carbohydrates , like gaseous beverages , cake , sweets etc repeatedly on the teeth . the bacteria lives on these food . The bacteria in tooth plaque are free to release acids that damage tooth enamel. Regular acid assaults on enamel can wear holes in teeth, commonly called cavities.
Tartar is petrified plaque, Once it’s there, you need a dentist’s help … tartar can’t be brushed off.” Tartar above the gum line also contributes to gingivitis, which is gum disease.and consequent jaw bones damage .
How to avoid plaque ?
Avoid plaque save you from the most majority of dental problems. You can avoid the formation of plaque by Following this:
- Brush your teeth gently twice a day, using a fluoride-containing toothpaste. The exact technique isn’t as important as concentrating to make sure you’re softly brushing all the surfaces of your teeth.
- Flossing also cleans plaque at the gum line, . If left alone, plaque below the gum line can lead to periodontal disease.
- Visit your dentist or oral hygienist and dentist once every six months to ensure the cleanliness and safety of your teeth.
- Consult your doctor the appropriateness of protective surfaces premolar – sealant – you. A cover layer of plastic coated surfaces of the teeth chewing to protect them from decay.
- Eating balanced meals and try to minimize the snacks that may be dealt with between the main meals. If you need to eat one of these snacks, you should choose healthy meals and nutritious, such as: robe skim any additions, cheese, fruit or fresh vegetables, such as apples, where he works to remove residue and food particles from the mouth as it helps saliva in the mouth on the formula acids resulting from plaque and thus mitigate the harm.